Forum Title: Outside spigot with plastic "winterizing" piece causing leak
I just bought a house and went to attach my hose to the spigot outside to water my bushes, then wash my car. I then find out to my disappointment that this is not your normal, run of the mill spigot that you simply attach a hose and turn it on. There is this black plastic piece that has writing on it that says "pull up to winterize." When it is pulled up, there is a slit about 1/4 of an inch thick in the spigot, so when it is turned on, the water comes out of the slit and not into the hose. When I try to clip the black plastic piece into the slit, it doesn't really clip in and water sprays out of the slit. Does anyone have any experience on how to fix this? I have never seen a spigot like this before. I looked at the houses throughout my neighborhood, and there is not a single spigot like mine (lucky me). Please someone help me out! This is not a good welcome to the new house present.
Category: plumber Post By: Susan Douglas (Beech Creek, IN), 09/15/2017
Just guessing, but I think someone previously forgot to pull up the handle, and it froze and broke. Time to install a new spigot. Some contractors use cheap products to save money. In 35 years, I have not seen this type of spigot.

- Mike Rogers (Lien, SD), 10/16/2017

Is this piece possibly an add-on vacuum breaker? Could it possibly be threaded on? I'd like to see a picture!

- Myers Plumbing Heating & Cooling (Kasota, MN), 10/16/2017

Emergency Plumbing & Rooter Service Companiess - Residential & Commercial Services

Free Service Calls 888-880-2779